Print Page
Lake Superior State University




You may apply to Lake Superior State University any time during your final year of high school. Applications are processed continuously. When all necessary materials have arrived you will be notified of a decision as soon as possible. To complete your admission file you must submit an official high school transcript, application fee, and ACT scores (if you graduated from high school within 26 months of entering LSSU). Although ACT scores are preferred, we will also accept SAT scores.

The primary factors used to determine admission are cumulative grade point average (GPA), high school course curriculum, and ACT or SAT results. LSSU recommends that students follow a college preparatory curriculum mirroring the Michigan Merit Curriculum. The middle 50 percent of our entering freshmen class typically have high school GPAs ranging from 2.7 to 3.3 and ACT scores ranging from 18-24. Students should feel free to submit any additional materials which may aid the Admissions Office in reviewing unusual circumstances which may have impacted high school performance. ACT or SAT scores will not be used in the admissions process if you graduated from high school two or more years ago.

Your admission will be contingent upon satisfactory completion of current coursework and receipt of a final high school transcript with verification of graduation from an accredited school or passing on the GED. To be considered official, all transcripts and test score reports must be mailed from your high school guidance office or testing agency directly to Lake Superior State University.

LSSU assigns each student an individual student identification number. Your student number will be provided to you when you are admitted. While we do not use social security numbers as your student identification, we do use it to match your application record with your other permanent records. Financial aid applications will not be processed without your social security number. Social security numbers should be included on your application for admission. Canadian and international student applicants should not use their social insurance number. LSSU will use your assigned student identification number.

Students denied regular admission may reapply after attending another accredited college and earning at least 19 semester (29 quarter) hours of transferable credit. Evaluation is then based upon the college record.

Home Schooled students

Lake Superior State University does not have separate requirements for home schooled applicants. Like all applicants, home schooled students will need to provide a transcript of their high school coursework as well as ACT or SAT scores. Admission will be determined on the basis of your high school grade point average, coursework completed, and ACT or SAT scores.


The ACT is offered nationally five times a year at many locations including our campus. Registration forms are available in high school counseling offices, the LSSU Testing Services at 906-635- 2027 or at

United States residents applying for academic scholarships must have their ACT scores sent prior to the March 1 scholarship deadline.

Transfer Students

Transfer students must possess a 2.0 cumulative college GPA and be eligible to return to your former college(s). If you have completed fewer than 19 semester (29 quarter) hours of credit, you must send an official high school transcript or GED scores in addition to your college transcript (and ACT scores if you graduated from high school within 26 months of the semester of entry).

Contact the college’s Registrar’s Office or high school guidance office to have an official transcript mailed to our Admissions Office. Transcripts sent via facsimile or hand delivered are not considered official. All transcripts become the property of Lake Superior State University and are not returnable.

Your complete application should be submitted at least 30 days prior to the semester of entry. Transfer students denied admission may reapply after taking additional courses that raise their overall GPA to above a 2.0.

Credit Evaluations

Official evaluation of transfer credit is made as quickly as possible after you are admitted. The Admissions Office will help you with an unofficial transcript review at your request.

If a course taken at another institution is not offered at LSSU, elective credit may be granted for that course. Elective credits may be applied toward degree requirements but may not be used to satisfy any specific course requirement.

Courses with grades less than C- will not transfer.

The Admissions Office completes transfer credit evaluations based on equivalencies determined by the faculty.  The decision on courses and transfer credit granted may be appealed first to the academic dean and then to the provost.

Provisional Credit

Credit earned at an institution not listed in the American Council of Education’s publication, Accredited Institutions of Post-Secondary Education is granted provisionally. You must complete at least 15 semester hours of credit with a cumulative GPA of 2.00 at LSSU before provisional credits will become part of your permanent record.

MACRAO Agreement

Michigan community college students admitted to Lake Superior State University who have the MACRAO stamp on their transcript are recognized as having completed the general education requirements at Lake Superior State University.

Sault College Agreement

Sault College of Applied Arts and Technology students admitted to Lake Superior State University who have the GECERT stamp (liberal studies degree) on their transcript are recognized as having completed the general education requirements at Lake Superior State University.

Residency Requirement

There is no limit to the number of transfer credits allowed from other institutions. Bachelor’s degree candidates must earn at least 32 credits and at least 50 percent of their departmental required 300/400-level credits in LSSU courses.

Regional center students must earn at least 32 credits and at least 50 percent of their departmental required 300/400-level credits in LSSU courses.

Associate degree candidates must earn 50% of their departmental requirements in LSSU courses.

Early Admission Policy

Students under the age of 18 that apply for early admission to LSSU who do not possess a high school diploma or GED will be counseled on an individual basis by a member of the Admissions staff.

Former Students

Former Lake Superior State University students who miss one or more semesters (not including summer) must submit an Application for Readmission prior to the semester of re-entry. There is no application fee. If you have attended another college during the period of absence, you must submit official transcripts and meet our transfer student admissions requirements. Those students who were academically dismissed must meet the requirements for re-enrollment as defined by the Scholastic Standards Committee.

Guest Students

Students enrolled at another college or university may be admitted to LSSU for one semester as a guest student. An extension of one additional semester may be granted for extenuating circumstances. If you intend to enroll full time for more than one semester, you must submit an Application for Admission as a transfer student. Guest students assume responsibility for determining if LSSU courses apply to their program at the college from which they intend to graduate.

Ontario Students

Ontario student applicants must satisfy entrance requirements comparable to those of United States students. Please refer to the “Freshmen” and “Transfer” sections of the catalog for details.

If you have completed grade 13 or OAC courses before September 1990, you will receive transfer credit at the University for each course in which your final mark was at least a 60 percent. Transfer credit is not given for any OAC courses taken after September 1990. However, completion of OAC courses prepares some students to earn credit through testing. See section titled “Credit by Examination”.

Admitted Ontario students must provide verification of ability to pay in order to receive a Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant (F-1) Student Status (Form I-20) required to attend a university in the United States. This is not an admissions requirement for Ontario students; however, an I-20 form is required for you to cross into the U.S. to attend classes. Please refer to “Verification of Ability to Pay” section in the catalog for details.

If you are a Permanent Resident or able to be in the U.S. with another form of documentation, we will need a copy of this documentation for our records.

If you are a Canadian Aboriginal or Native American (excluding METIS) with at least 50% blood quantum and have J-treaty privileges (carry a tribal ID), you are exempt from needing an I-20 form. You must provide our office with a copy of your tribal ID and an official tribal-issued letter showing proof of blood quantum.

Ontario students planning to attend part-time (less than 12 credits) and commute to college, will be issued a new I-20 form each semester upon the verification of the payment of tuition and fees, or after submission of financial information as outlined above.

Ontario students are required to purchase a health and accident insurance policy unless they are covered under a policy of their own or a policy with their parents.

International Students (Excluding Ontario Students)

We recommend international students submit all application material by July 15 for the fall semester and November 15 for the spring semester. You will be required to provide official transcripts evaluated by World Evaluation Service (WES) or Education Credential Evaluators (ECE) on a comprehensive course-by-course basis. Websites for WES and ECE are and This applies to both first time in college students as well as transfer students. Transfer students who have earned less than 19 semester hours of college credit will also need to provide their high school transcripts.

International applicants must also provide verification of ability to pay, prove English proficiency, and provide proof of health and accident insurance prior to acceptance. Please refer to those sections for specific information.

Applicants should not consider themselves admitted to LSSU until they have provided all required documents and have received an official letter of acceptance. Following the letter of acceptance, the I-20 form is sent, as required by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Services.

If you are a Permanent Resident or able to be in the U.S. with another form of documentation, we will need a copy of this documentation for our records.

If you are a Canadian Aboriginal or Native American (excluding METIS) with at least 50% blood quantum and have J-treaty privileges (carry a tribal ID), you are exempt from needing an I-20 form. You must provide our office with a copy of your tribal ID and an official tribal-issued letter showing proof of blood quantum. International students are required to purchase a health and accident insurance policy for each year in residence.

Verification of Ability to Pay – Ontario and International Students

The U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS) requires that LSSU have verification of your ability to pay for tuition/books and expenses before we can issue a Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant (F-1) Student Status (I-20). This form is required for you to cross the border into the United States.

An acceptable financial document must have been submitted not more than nine (9) months before the term you intend to enroll at LSSU. The document also needs to be current within the last 90 days. Inclusion of false information in the financial statements is grounds for dismissal. Verification may be documented by the following: personal savings or verification of loans or scholarships received, a parent or sponsor, government or sponsoring agency, or by LSSU anticipated support.

As of September 1, 2004, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has implemented a rule requiring F-1 visa applicants to pay a one-time fee to supplement the administration and maintenance costs of the Student and Exchange Information System (SEVIS). Because we will be issuing you an initial I-20 form, you will be required to pay this SEVIS fee. Information about payment of the fee and the processing of your I-20 form upon entry to the U.S. will be provided to you with your initial I-20 form. You may also check our website for additional information:

Proof of English Proficiency

Proof of English proficiency is required for admission to LSSU as an international student. English proficiency can be proven in several ways:

  1. Score 550 or above on the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or 213 on the computer-based TOEFL or a score of 79 on the internet-based TOEFL. Please use institutional code 1421 to report scores directly to LSSU. More information on TOEFL may be found at or 609-771-7100.
  2. Score of 80 on the Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB). Write: English Language Institute, MELAB Testing, 3020 North University Building, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1057, U.S.A.
  3. Completion of Level 109 at any ELS Language Center located in the U.S. More information can be found at: or at, 1-609-750-3500 or
  4. APIEL - Advanced Placement English Language Test with a score of 3 or higher.
  5. SAT/ACT critical reading score of 480 or higher, minimum overall score of 965 or higher, ACT equivalent is 20.
  6. Completion of two (2) years of study at a school, college or university located in an English-speaking country.
  7. IELTS - International English Language Testing System with a score of 7 or higher.

Undocumented Students

Students who are undocumented are considered domestic students, not international students for admissions consideration.  They must meet our regular admission requirements.  Undocumented students will be classified as non-residents, unless they can document they are living in Michigan.  Undocumented students are not eligible for financial aid or scholarships.

Part-time Enrollment

You may enroll as a part-time student and take up to 11 credits per semester in courses for which you have sufficient academic background. United States students attending part-time who are not seeking financial aid or a degree or certificate do not have to formally apply for admission.

International students wishing to attend part-time must apply for admission and be accepted into a degree program.

As a non-admitted part-time student, you are not assigned a faculty advisor. You are encouraged to seek assistance in selecting courses from the appropriate academic departments.

Current high school students should refer to the section regarding dual enrollment.

Tech Prep

The national tech prep movement is supported at LSSU. As a testimony of its institutional support, grades earned in applied high school science and mathematics courses contribute to the high school GPA computed for university admission. Tech prep, with its emphasis upon curricular integration between secondary and post-secondary educational institutions, helps Lake State create a broader array of educational options for our students.

Lake Superior State University has articulation agreements with area high schools to enhance applied and career educational opportunities at the post-secondary level. In tandem with its regional secondary education partners, LSSU has created pathways to applied education for specified curricula in business and technology. University course credits count toward degree requirements for high school work if certain competencies are met. Check with your high school guidance counselor or an LSSU admissions advisor to verify whether a specific course may apply. Additional information may also be found at:

Dual Enrollment for High School Students

Eligible students are those who are in grade 11 or 12 who are enrolled in at least one high school course, and who have passed these four subject areas of the MME: mathematics, science, reading and writing. The student who did not pass in all areas is still eligible to take courses only in the areas in which he/she has received endorsements.

Both 11th and 12th graders are eligible to take courses in subjects for which there are no endorsements, such as philosophy, religion, psychology, sociology, anthropology, computer science, fine arts, and/or foreign language courses not offered by the district, as long as the student has taken all sections of the MME and has met the course’s prerequisite requirements. State endorsement is not required in any specific area for this participation. Grade point average is not a determining factor in eligibility to enroll.

Registration will be coordinated by the Admissions Office in conjunction with the Registrar’s Office, once a student has completed the required form and has been approved as a Dual Enrollee. Students may pick up the Dual Enrollment Form from their high school guidance office, the LSSU Admissions Office, or at Attendance as a high school dual enrollee does not constitute admission to a four-year degree program. LSSU encourages students to apply for admission early in the senior year for a major of their choice.

Placement Testing

LSSU will use ACT and/or SAT to place students in courses required for their degree and matched to their level of academic preparation. Occasionally, these test scores do not reflect a student’s true preparedness or, depending on their admission status, ACT or SAT scores may not have been required. In that case, students will take English and math placement tests to determine which courses they should schedule. ThePlacement table shows the relationship between ACT/SAT scores and LSSU English or math courses.

Students with high ACT or placement scores are invited to enroll in honors English. High scores in mathematics will also allow students to enroll in higher-level math courses.

Students with low scores in English, reading and mathematics will be required to take preparatory coursework that do not count towards degree requirements.

Transfer students without appropriate course work in English and mathematics (see degree requirements) are also required to take placement tests. Transfer students may meet placement requirements by their ACT scores if they submit ACT scores to LSSU.

Credit by Examination

You may earn university credit by examination. The University grants credit from Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate (IB), College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and departmental exams. If you are already attending Lake State, you may earn credit through both CLEP and departmental exams.

You must meet the following criteria before credit by examination will be entered on your transcript:

  1. be an admitted full-time student, and
  2. be enrolled at Lake Superior State University.

Advanced Placement Program (AP)

Advanced Placement Exams are administered at high schools each May. LSSU grants credit in select AP exams passed with a score of three or higher. If an essay is part of an individual exam, it must be submitted to University Testing Services for evaluation. To receive credit, the essay must be satisfactory and you must have a minimum score of three on the test. Credit for AP is granted as shown on the AP table.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

Lake Superior State University offers college credit for students who complete IB coursework with strong results. LSSU will grant credit only for Higher Level exams and scores of 5 or above. Credit for IB is granted as shown on the IB table.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

You may take CLEP exams at a computer testing center, including Lake Superior State University’s Testing Services. LSSU offers CLEP exams every month except December. Credit for CLEP is granted as shown on the CLEP table.

You may receive credit toward specified courses that meet general education requirements.
CLEP general and subject examination credit may not be used to repeat courses previously taken unless permission is granted from the academic department offering the course.

Grades for general examinations are recorded as credit without grade points.

Credit may be earned for individual courses by passing CLEP subject examinations.

Departmental Exams

Departments may provide their own examinations for certain courses. You must have the written approval of the appropriate department chair to take the examination. An application form for credit by exam can be found with the department chair. There is a fee charged per credit hour.  An examination grade of 2.00 or better is required for credit to be earned. Credit earned by exam is recorded as transfer credit on the student’s transcript. Some universities may not accept transfer credit earned by departmental exam.

Health Record

Everyone entering Lake Superior State University for the first time should complete an Immunization Record and Health History Questionnaire. The form is mailed to admitted students. These questionnaires are not considered for admission to the University. The information helps the University’s Health Service better serve your needs.

Note: Information in the admissions section of the catalog is for information only and not part of an enrollment contract.

Previous page: Regional Centers
Next page: Financial Aid