Print Page
Lake Superior State University




An exact outline of University fees and assessments can be found in the Admissions Office. These costs are determined by the Lake Superior State University Board of Trustees.

A fee of $25 for filing online or $35 for paper filing (United States funds) must accompany each Application for Admission to Lake Superior State University. The fee is nonrefundable and does not apply toward tuition or other fees.

Michigan Residency Policy for Tuition Purposes

Lake Superior State University has a commitment to the resident taxpayers of the State of Michigan to provide educational opportunity at lower tuition rates than those charged to non-residents. Therefore, there are two general tuition rates, one for Michigan residents and a higher rate for non-residents.

Since a student typically comes to the University for the primary or sole reason of attending the University rather than to establish a domicile in Michigan, a student who enrolls in the University as a non-resident shall continue to be so classified throughout their attendance as a student, unless they demonstrate that their previous domicile has been abandoned and a Michigan domicile established.

Status as a resident for tuition purposes is defined as a student that is domiciled in Michigan. For University purposes, domicile is defined as the place where a student intends that their true, fixed and permanent home (both during and after they complete their education at the University) and principal establishment to be and to which the individual intends to return whenever absent from the University. An individual whose activities and circumstances, as documented to the University, demonstrate the establishment of a domicile in Michigan and intends to be domiciled will be eligible for classification as a resident. An individual whose presence in Michigan is based on activities or circumstances that are indeterminate or temporary, such as educational pursuits, will be presumed not to be domiciled in Michigan.

The domicile of a dependent student is presumed to be the same as that of the student’s parents. For tuition purposes, a student is considered to be a dependent of the student’s parents and/or legal guardians if they are financially dependent upon their parents or have not attained independent status. Students with independent status may apply for re-classification of their residency status after six months of continuous residency in Michigan prior to the first day of classes in the semester. If only one parent is domiciled in Michigan, the student will be presumed to be a Michigan resident regardless of whether that parent is the student's custodial parent.

A Michigan resident absent from the state for periods of up to one year shall not forfeit his or her residence for tuition purposes, provided that he or she has taken no action to become a resident of another state. Students, though, may need to demonstrate continuous residency for purposes of specific grants or scholarships.

The residence of a student who otherwise would be classified as nonresident will follow that of his or her spouse if the spouse is classified as a resident.

In-state tuition will be granted to active duty members of the armed forces of the United States, their spouses and dependents, if the member of the armed forces is a Michigan resident (and has not established residency in another state) or is stationed in Michigan.  In-state status will continue to be recognized as long as the spouse or dependent is continually enrolled at the University.

Children of LSSU alumni are eligible for resident tuition rates.

Aliens lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the United States who have a permanent visa, may register as residents of the state provided they have met the other requirements for residency.

Initial decisions on classification of residency shall be made by the Director of Admissions. Requests for reclassification to become a resident shall be made to the Registrar. Students may appeal these decisions to the Vice President for Enrollment Services.

The following circumstances may lend support to a claim of residency, though not conclusive and exhaustive:

  • A person appointed to a regular, full-time position at the university
  • An employment transfer to Michigan
  • Continuous residence in Michigan during periods when not enrolled as a student
  • Reliance upon only Michigan sources of financial support
  • Permanent, full-time, employment in Michigan provided that the employment is the person’s primary purpose for being in Michigan
  • One parent of a dependent student is a Michigan resident domiciled in the state

The following circumstances, in and of themselves, do not lend support for a claim of residency:

  • Voter registration in Michigan
  • Possession of a Michigan’s driver license
  • Short-term or temporary employment in Michigan
  • Lease of living quarters
  • Dependence on student financial aid for living expenses

Students requesting a change in their residence status must submit a Change of Residency Request and documentation to the Registrar prior to the first day of the semester.

Policy: Tuition/Fees

All tuition and fees are payable according to established due dates. Students delinquent in payment of a financial obligation are subject to enrollment cancellation and/or late fees until all amounts due the University are paid or satisfactory arrangements are made with the Business Office.

Anyone who is delinquent in any obligation to the University will not be allowed to register for classes.  Additionally, University services will not be provided until financial obligations are met. Registration is not complete until fees are paid. A check or draft returned to the University and not honored by the bank constitutes nonpayment and may result in cancellation of registration.

Students auditing a class are assessed full tuition and fees for the course and an AU grade is recorded on the student’s official transcript upon completion of the course.  Michigan residents who are 60 years of age or older may audit undergraduate courses compliments of LSSU. No records are kept of their audits.

In addition to tuition, there are various fees assessed to students in specific situations.

Activity Course Fee: The activity course fee is an additional charge applied to one-credit courses in music and recreation. These courses are elective.

This activity fee is assessed on all students enrolling in one-credit music (one-credit activity and performance courses with an MUSC prefix, except MUSC210) or one-credit recreation (one-credit activity courses with an RECA prefix) classes.

Administrative Fee: Administrative fees will be charged for PLATO software and departmental exams.

Enrollment Fee: The enrollment fee is a one-time fee established to partially cover the costs associated with the orientation of new students.

The enrollment fee is assessed on all new and transfer students when they are admitted to a degree program.

Program Fees: The program fee is an additional charge per credit for courses in engineering, nursing, chemistry, natural science and paramedic technology.

Distance Education Fees: These fees are charged for courses delivered to regional center students and other distance education students other than in a face-to-face format with instructors. There will be a fee for courses delivered via Interactive TV, via the Internet, and via CD/WebCT.

Regional Center Fee: The regional center fee is an additional charge per credit, charged for courses delivered by instructors at the regional centers.

The regional center fee is assessed on all students registering for a course at an LSSU Regional Center (Escanaba, Dearborn, Gaylord and Petoskey).

Special Course Fee: Special course fees are charged to cover costs of supplies, equipment, maintenance, and student transportation over and above the normal costs for all courses. These fees become part of the department supply and equipment budget.

Special course fees are assessed on students taking the course for which the fee is charged.

Credit by exam: Credit by departmental examination is available to full-time students. If a 2.00 or better is scored, the credit is recorded on your transcript. The fee charged is $50 per credit hour.

Student Activity and Media Fee: This fee was requested by the Student Government and approved by the Board of Trustees on June 30, 2003, to support Student Government, student activities, the student radio station WLSO, and the student newspaper, The Compass.

The student activity and media fee is a flat fee assessed on all enrolled students except those registered for internship classes, for classes at a regional center, or dually-enrolled at LSSU and a high school.

Vehicle Registration Fee: This fee entitles a student to register one student vehicle to be parked in a campus parking lot.

The fee is refunded only under certain conditions. Vehicle registration information is available at .


If you decide to drop your classes, you, must complete the following:

  1. Pick up a Withdrawal Form at the Registrar’s Office, located in the Fletcher Center for Student Services.
  2. Gather the required signatures (shown on the form). Note: if you have received federal loans as financial aid, you will be required to complete an exit interview at the Financial Aid Office. You may also be required to speak with a financial aid officer. You will need to provide the complete addresses and phone numbers of two people (living at different addresses) as references for the exit interview process.
  3. Deliver the completed form to the Registrar's Office and clear any outstanding charges or holds that may prevent your return at a later date or prevent the release of your academic records. Your withdrawal date will be determined by the date the completed form is submitted to the Registrar's Office. Any refunds will be calculated as of that date.

Widthdrawal Dates

All withdrawals should be done in person. If you are unable to complete the process in person, the Registrar is the only University authority that can authorize the process of your withdrawal over the phone. Please contact the Registrar’s Office at 906-635-2682 for assistance. If you are a federal recipient, you will need to complete your exit process with the Financial Aid Office.

After your completed Withdrawal Form is accepted, your University charges will be reduced according to the withdrawal and refund policy. If you have not received any form of financial aid and there is a credit balance on your account, you will be sent a refund check. If you have received aid, your aid may have to be returned to the appropriate source. You may then have a balance due to the University. A bill will be sent and is payable upon receipt.

Financial Aid Return Policy: Applies to students receiving federal and state financial aid including loans and scholarships, and institutional and private aid.

  • First, your account will be credited according to Lake Superior State University’s Refund Policy (on or prior to the 38-day withdrawal period). The summer semester refund policy is shortened.
  • Then, your financial aid will be reduced in direct proportion to the length of time you remained enrolled, up to 60 percent of the semester.
  • PLEASE NOTE: If you have received a payment for excess financial aid and you with-draw, you could owe the University and/or the federal government money.
  • Any remaining refund due you, after all funding sources have received the appropriate credit, will be refunded directly to you.

For example: If there are 101 days in the semester and you withdraw on the 45th day, your federal aid would be reduced to 45% (45/101). If your total cost to attend was $4,000 and it was paid with federal aid of $2,400 and a personal payment of $1,600, your federal aid would be reduced to $1,080. You could owe the University $1,320.

Attendance Policy for federal financial aid recipients: Regular class attendance is required for students receiving federal financial aid. If you are reported for non-attendance in any or all of your courses, your financial aid may be withdrawn.

If you fail to demonstrate attendance by earning credits for a semester while receiving federal aid, your aid may be returned and you may owe unearned funds back to the University.

Leaving school: For information about leaving the University see Withdrawal. Non-attendance of classes or checking out of campus housing does not constitute withdrawal, nor does academic dismissal. Students who leave but do not withdraw are responsible for full tuition and fees and will receive failing grades on their transcript unless an official Withdrawal Request Form is filed with the Registrar’s Office.

Students who fail to earn credits for the semester while receiving financial aid are subject to Title IV refund requirements and may lose all or part of their financial aid.

Transcript fee: One official transcript is provided to all students, either before or after graduation. There is a $5 fee for each additional transcript.

Delinquent accounts: Students with delinquent accounts may be removed from class, have their diploma withheld, and/or have transcript requests denied.

Room and Board Applications

Housing applications: Unmarried students enrolled for 12 or more credit hours and who are within 27 calendar months of their graduation from high school at the beginning of the academic year (for this purpose, high school graduation dates are assumed to be June 1st) must reside in a University residence hall.

The exceptions are:

  1. if you live with parents within a 60-mile radius, or the three-county (Luce, Chippewa, and Mackinac) service area of the University campus. An exemption application, available in the Housing Office, must be approved by the Director of Campus Life and Housing.
  2. if you are exempted in writing by the Director of Campus Life and Housing when residence hall space is filled.
  3. if you face unusual financial or health problems and are exempted by the Director of Campus Life and Housing.

Applications for housing must be made to the Housing Office. Students indicating interest in on-campus accommodations on the University admissions application are sent housing information. Room assignments are made upon receipt of the first room and board payment. Applications are voided if first room and board payment is not received by June 1st. If application is canceled by notification to the Director of Campus Life and Housing by June 1st, all monies paid will be refunded. If cancellation is between June 1st and the opening of the residence halls, LSSU retains $100. Cancellation after the halls open is subject to a $500 penalty. You must be accepted for admission and be enrolled in and attending classes to live on campus.

Room and board: Students are billed for room and board and tuition each semester. A payment plan may be set up with the Business Office located in the Fletcher Center. A cost sheet is available from the Student Service Center.

Housing deposit: If you are living on campus, there is a $150 damage deposit prior to checking into the hall. This deposit is refunded, less monies owed to the University, when you leave campus housing.

Regulations: Regulations and expectations of your conduct as a member of the LSSU community will be provided when you take residence.